Sunday, November 6, 2011

First Day in the Mission Field

A letter from Sister Woodbury

Dear Taylors,
Elder Taylor arrived here safe and sound Monday evening, after a delay of almost two hours from Atlanta. How wonderful it was to see him as he and
the other nine missionaries in his group, rounded the corner in the terminal at the airport. He was smiling ear to ear!
After getting the bags and loading up the GKLM trailer (Great Kentucky Louisville Mission) the missionaries hopped in the Mission van for the short ride to the Mission Home.
Because of the late hour we sat down to dinner right away, a meal of chicken enchiladas, southwestern salad, frog's eye salad, cheesy bread, and tres leche cake with strawberries for dessert. Don't ask why the southwestern theme since it doesn't have anything to do with Kentucky... It's just what sounded good that night!
President Woodbury began interviews after dinner while I conducted an orientation meeting and the Assistants to the President took individual pictures to be used on the Transfer Boards at the Mission Office and Mission Home. Then we all went downstairs to the Training Room (aka the family room) downstairs to have Testimony Meeting. What a spiritual feast! Your wonderful son bore a humble and strong testimony that more than impressed both me and the President. He seems more like a seasoned missionary than a new one, so well prepared, focused, and anxious to serve. We're looking forward to great things with and through him... Then, it was off to bed with chocolates on their pillows for sweet dreams.
Tuesday morning we had a hot breakfast followed by Companionship Study and orientation regarding finances and vehicles. By 10:00 we were at the church adjacent to the Mission Office for Transfer Meeting.
After the song and prayer, the outgoing missionaries gave their departing "Words of Wisdom" and then it was time for new missionaries to be in the spotlight. Each stood as he or she was introduced, along with the name of their Trainer and their first area. After Elder Taylor estood, Elder Corry ran over to bear hug his new companion and take him to the area in the chapel reserved for them. "Called to Serve" was sung, GKLM style, and then President Woodbury announced the rest of the transfers. Following the meeting, the new missionaries and their Trainers met to be introduced to the new 12-week Training Program, then they and the outgoing missionaries had a deli-sandwich lunch there at the church before having their pictures taken by the sign at the Mission Office. That was it - After pictures Elder Taylor took off to his first area, so pumped-up and excited I thought he might burst!

I've attached some picture you surely will enjoy of Elder Taylor's first eighteen hours in the mission field. These and others can also be seen on our private Mission Blog. I'll send you an invitation, but I won't have the article on this Transfer posted until tomorrow. If you have problems getting into the site, let me know. Also send me the e-mails of any other family members, including grandparents, who might like to see it. By, the way, its private by advice given at the Mission Presidents' Seminar after some missions have had anti-Mormon groups going after new members and missionaries that have been pictured or mentioned.
President Woodbury and I appreciate you sending your wonderful son to us and hope you will be blessed in his absence from your family. He's incredible!
Love, Sister Woodbury

No comments:

Post a Comment